Friday, May 14, 2010

Courageous Restraint or Kill 'em if they need killin'

Yesterday I heard, now I've read that some in the military establishment want to start awarding medals for "courageous restraint." Yeah, you know, like a mom at the 11:00 o'clock Mass who wants to beat the crap out of her misbehaving 5 year old who desperately needs it right there, right then but she waits until she gets home to do it - courageous restraint.

I wonder how those citation are written up:

Even though LCpl Suggs was under heavy fire from the enemy, he showed amazing tenacity and courageous restraint by hugging the bottom of his fighting hole while pissing himself until the "all clear" was sounded at which time he was severely wounded by the GySgt who whooped his @$$ good and called him a coward. The GySgt received a Courts Martial. But for having now pissed and crapped himself (the GySgt literally beat the crap out of him) LCpl Suggs is honored with this new and shinny medal and check for a $100 for saving the government so much money in ammunition.

How about the dads of dead Marines showing up at the pinning ceremony and waiting in line so they can beat the crap out of Suggs next.

How about the parents a funeral for their son receiving the neatly folded flag from his coffin with a medal for courageous restraint pinned to it? Yes Johnny is dead, but he showed such courageous restraint.

This is the sign of the upside down world we live in. Navy SEALS are put on trial for slugging some excrement-head terrorist and now we're going to give medals to guys for NOT shooting the enemy. I think we need to ask WWPD? Yes, what would Patton do?

"A medal for not shooting the enemy? The hell you say. Why that's the most f*(%ked up thing I've ever heard of! What do they want us to do? Like the bastards? Well likin' leads to lovin', lovin lead to f&%kin' and nobody F&%ks with George Patton."

Let me just say of all of the bad ideas I've heard batted about, this is near the top. It reminds of the rules of engagement in the first Gulf War. A rather long list of "if this then thats." But I'd heard the best rules of engagement somewhere and relayed them to my Marines - "Kill 'em if they need killin'"

I am reminded of that every time I see a peace sign. There are bad people in this world that mean us deadly harm. Nothing will change their minds. So, you can either lay down your gun and be led to the slaughter like "PEACE" lambs and get a medal for courageous restraint or you can kill 'em if they need killin'.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read the article. It will become the "everyone gets a trophy" problem. I kept my weight down, I want a medal. I kept my cursing under the medal limit last week, I want a medal. Pretty soon it will look like the 1960's May Day Parade in Moscow with each man in uniform wearing 8-10 metal trash can lids for medals.
The Griffin

Anonymous said...

Lex:

You knocked this one out of the park! WTF are they thinking?!

AF Bro