Wednesday, January 11, 2012

No statesmen left on either side

When elected unanimously by congress to be the Commander in Chief of the Continental Army, George Washington addressed the congress with these few words.


"Mr. President, Tho' I am truly sensible of the high Honour done me, in this Appointment, yet I feel great distress, from a consciousness that my abilities and military experience may not be equal to the extensive and important Trust: However, as the Congress desire it, I will enter upon the momentous duty, and exert every power I possess in their service, and for support of the glorious cause. I beg they will accept my most cordial thanks for this distinguished testimony of their approbation.

"But, lest some unlucky event should happen, unfavourable to my reputation, I beg it may be remembered, by every Gentleman in the room, that I, this day, declare with the utmost sincerity, I do not think myself equal to the Command I am honored with.

"As to pay, Sir, I beg leave to assure the Congress, that, as no pecuniary consideration could have tempted me to have accepted this arduous employment, at the expence of my domestic ease and happiness, I do not wish to make any proffit from it. I will keep an exact Account of my expences. Those, I doubt not, they will discharge, and that is all I desire."

I was reminded of this event and Lincoln’s 270 word Gettysburg Address while listening to Ron Paul and others drone on and on and on after finishing second, third, fourth and fifth in the NH primary. I wondered, how long it would take them to get to the point if something really important had happened to them?

And humility must be a thing of the far distant past. Can you imagine any of today’s pols saying, “my abilities and experience may not be equal to the extensive and important Trust”? Or, “I do not think myself equal to the Command I am honored with”? It’s never going to happen.

Quite the opposite. The more they foul things up the more today's pols assure us the country cannot survive without them. Take the P-BO…please. Here’s a guy with not one qualification to run anything more complicated than a midnight basketball program telling us that America cannot survive unless we re-elect him.

Take Newt…please. We all knew he was the smartest guy in the room. Now we know he’s also the meanest, most self serving, arrogant and hypocritical. After making millions for talking to companies like Freddie and Fannie, Newt is shocked that Mitt Romney made money working for Bain Capital. Newt wants Mitt to hold a presser explaining Bain’s success. He even claimed that there should be a cut off for profit. Wow, that sounds like Barnewt Ogingrich. As Newt himself might say about that comment were not from himself, “that is a stunningly hypocritical and naive statement coming from probably worst candidate in recent memory.” By sitting on a couch with Grand Fran Nan Pelooser, Newt screwed himself more than all of Romney’s money ever could.

So, to hell with Newt and the box of rocks from the lone star state. The two of them seem more interested in destroying Romney than winning the nomination or helping the country. It is now a two man race, Romney and Santorum.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said. The Jeckle-Hyde Newt was the grown up on the debate stage then turned suicide bomber. Mrs.Griffin thinks Perry has the best hair followed by Romney. I saw the latest polls have Obama versus a bowl of Jello pudding at a virtual tie with 46% each. Romney will be a good president.
The Griffin.