Monday, January 22, 2007

Dems can't get by on "living wage"

Well it’s official. The official cost of raising a family in America is $15,080 a year or $1,256.67 a month or $290 a week or $7.25 an hour. $7.25 is what Democrats decided would be the new minimum/living wage and even that is phased in over two years.

$15,080? That wouldn’t cover Fat Teddy Kennedy’s weekly bar tab, a weekend at Teresa’s Aspen ski chalet for gold digger John Kerry, Nancy Pelosi’s monthly cosmetic buy or a down payment on another phantom land deal for Scrawny Harry. Dems promised a living wage. Now they have determined that $15,080 is a living wage even though not one of them would ever try to get by on $15,080 a year.

Like most things, employers and employees ought to be able to negotiate employment without interference from the Federal Government. I notice that the Dems don’t offer legislation that an employee must work for one year at the minimum wage. Why not?

The minimum wage is a tool of the unions. That is who the Dems are sucking up to. Because there are so few of them, Dems could care less about minimum wage workers. Dems are catering to the union crowd who use the minimum wage as leverage to argue higher wages for themselves. It’s that simple. Union votes – that’s why Wal-Mart is a boogey man and the minimum wage a cause celeb for Dems - union votes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How much is the “dying wage”? I am relying on our government to insure I have minimum living wage and a minimum dying wage. The gamble with the government is that they are betting that I will die before collecting what I invested into social security and I am betting that I will collect what I invested plus a small nominal interest. If I retire at 66 years 4 months (the latest revised schedule) I will need to live to age 101 to get my money back. Hmmm…. This sounds like a rigged game. So I want out! But I can’t so the government has a fixed game.



So how about the minimum “I am not old-I am not young” guaranteed wage to cover the period from age 45 to age 66 years 4 months? Now I figure it should reflect the bell curve of life. I should make more in the middle than the beginning or the end of my life. So it should be $7.25 per hour from age 16 to 26, $11 per hour from age 27 to age 35, $15 per hour from age 36 to age 45, $28 per hour from age 46 to 56, $18 per hour again from age 57 to age 67, and then get my social security.



Under my new rules “I am not old-I am not young” plan, I could go to work at Wal-Mart at age 46 for $28 per hour. This would be a lot less stress on me and allows younger people the opportunity to take more responsibility which increases their chances for stroke and heart attack too! This is called “equal opportunity” under my new rules.