Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Math is hard so it must favor whitey

There really are not enough words in the English language – not different words, just plain words strung together to make a point – to express how F-ing stupid this is on so many levels.  Some piece of work named Rochelle Gutierrez, a math professor at the University of Illinois, actually believes that algebra and geometry perpetuate “white privilege.” 

Of course they do because everyone knows only whitey can figure out the answer to 2 + X = 4.  And no person of color will ever need to figure out how many square feet their lawn is in order to buy an appropriate amount of fertilizer.

Math is not white privilege.  It’s smart people privilege.  I have only a functional understanding of math.  I can figure a generous tip, the Indiana 7% sales tax (OK approximate tax) and balance the checkbook.  I can even add fractions - given enough time and if they don’t involve different denominators.  Although white – in appearance anyway – higher mathematics remains a bigger mystery to me than spelling.

ASIDE:  There is absolutely no reason - in a world governed by logic – the word euphemism should not be spelled u-famizim.  I thought the hyphen (hi-fen) after the u to indicate a long vowel sound was genius and just thought it up as I was typing it out.  This is the stuff you just don’t get anywhere else on the interweb.  Where were we?  Oh right, math.    

It might be racist, no, I’m sure it’s racist, but I thought Asians dominated the math field.  If not the higher end, at least sheer numbers able to do it with a modicum of proficiency in a college classroom.  So, it’s actually an Asian privilege subject.  I believe that the professor is anti-Asian.  That’s right.  She’s an Asiaphobic.   

As a solid C student in nearly all subjects, it never bothered me that people were smarter than me at most things.  At times I was rather proud of being able to “pull out a C.”  It took a lot of work and I earned it, and a C is still better than a D.

It takes all kinds.  The doc up the road, as brilliant as he is, cannot turn a screwdriver.  I can’t do math or pursue/endure a 12 year college program.  So what?

It all works out. Well in most cases.  Right now the C students, many of whom couldn’t run a lemonade stand, are running/ruining the NFL.  Players running the NFL is sort of like me trying to read one of Docs MRIs.  I’m likely to miss something.  How is the C students running/ruining the NFL working out for that organization these days?

Math proficiency is not white privilege.  It’s a microcosm of the human condition. 

I look at smart people the same way I look at rich people.  Thank God.  Smart people bring us all the comforts of air conditioning, rapid transit, microwave etc.  10% of the rich people pay 70% of the taxes.  I don't get mad at 'em.  I say "Thank you."
No doubt U of IL will promote this woman of color to head the math department and then re-name it the Simple Arithmetic Department (or SAD).


Profiling works and most people know it
I can sum this, somewhat lengthy but spot on, article up in two words – profiling works.

Mr. Verbruggen uses a lot u-famizims (it works, no) to skate around the word profiling.  No doubt if “the data” were put to practical use, it would be called profiling.  Whether or not “the data” works to reduce crime will be irrelevant as “the data” reveals the “networks” are made up primarily of minos at an “elevated risk of committing violence.”

No comments: