Friday, January 05, 2018

Question: What was he (Bannon) thinking? Answer: He wasn’t.


Anyone familiar with Lex’s advice to the 118 or so Republicans vying for their party’s presidential nomination in 2016, knows where Steve Bannon messed up.  For the unwashed, Lex’s advice to competitors and supporters alike throughout the campaign was to ride the Trump tiger. 

The saying is an old Chinese proverb. The meaning is, that when you are with a tiger (in a difficult situation) the only safe place to be, no matter how difficult it is to stay there, is on the tiger’s back where he cannot maul you. 

Bannon thought he was tougher than the tiger and got mauled once when he was booted from the White House.  Having learned nothing from that experience, Bannon apparently went after Trump’s family in an interview with the Author of the new tell all (and make up the rest to sell books) - book Fire and Fury, Mike Wolff.  Now Bannon is out at Breitbart and has incurred the wrath of nearly everyone on the Trump team, including Rush Limbaugh who apparently unloaded on Bannon on his Monday radio program. 

Here’s a short take on what is sure to become the Lefty Lib’s bible for 2018.  As I read through it, I kept thinking how did we get where we are then?  Stock market boom, Keystone, Supreme Court, Applet Courts, regulations roll backs, ISIS hammered, caliphate gone, Robertscare mandate dead, drilling opened in ANWR etc. are all pretty stellar achievements in a well-oiled administration.  How did dunderhead PDJT achieve them under the chaos Wolff purports?

There is a management style in a little read book somewhere, I suppose, that calls for chaos.  Maybe PDJT read it.  There’s also the notion that PDJT was elected precisely because he was unconventional.  Why is it shocking news that will sell books that an outsider is acting like an outsider not familiar with the ways of the swamp?

Why is it news that a large staff is filled with backstabbing SOBs who think they are the smartest guy in any room and are always out to prove it to anyone who will listen?  I know.  I worked on a couple in an environment where loyalty was not only expected but it is the law. 

I dropped a paper off from my boss’s boss, a two star general, to colonel one time.  The colonel began deriding the two star in rather glaring terms to me, someone he did not know all that well. The thoughts may have been true.  I honestly didn't/don’t know.  I do know the conversation was inappropriate and came to an abrupt end when I interrupted him with two words, “Careful colonel.” 

The colonel wasn’t a bad guy, as far as I know.  He was venting. It never happened again.  But I thought, if the guy was willing to unload such openly disrespectful stuff on me, pretty much a stranger, what the hell is he telling his staff?  

So while reading Wolff’s article, my mind went back to those days of big egos and petty arguments.  I suspect the egos are 10 times bigger in the West Wing, sadly so are the issues.

My initial thinking was that PDJT should ignore the entire thing, save a few well-placed tweets, “Find Mike Wolff’s new book in the fiction section.”  That is not PDJT’s style.  He’s the tiger.  He mauls anyone who dare not remain on his back throughout the ride. 

The part that the Left is surely going to grab onto is PDJT’s mental state.  Obviously I do not know what’s true.  I do know a good leader sets the mission, priorities and standards and repeats them until the rest of the unit tires of hearing them and can repeat them back by rote.

There’s this to keep in mind as well.  For the first 11 months of PDJT’s first year he was an island.  Dopes, Rats, MSM, Hollywood, sports world, everyone was lining up against him.  Even paranoid people have real enemies.

My gut feeling is that Wolff’s tale is 80% - 50% BS mixed in with just enough truth to give it credibility.  People say and do things in fits of pique that they regret moments later.  Remember this is the same crowd that gave us the Russian dossier.

For now, let’s just judge the results.  If this is crazy chaos, I’m liking it.


Last, what is Shrillda the Hutt to think when reading this?  She’s got to know that losing to a figure as pathetic as the one Wolff portrays makes her the biggest loser in the history of the world. In that regard I enjoyed Wolff’s piece.

No comments: