Monday, April 29, 2019

93 million reasons why college football will fail


Dabo Sweeny inked a 93 million dollar contract with Clemson University.  Good for him.  He’s a great coach that produces outstanding results.  

As for the university – WTF were you thinking?  You wasn’t!  $93,000,000 is an obscene power ball lotto-like amount of money to pay someone to coach, not discover the cure for cancer, not develop a clean reliable and renewable power source, not for negotiate world peace – he gets $93,000,000 for coaching F-ing football, and it’s not even pro ball – it’s F-ing college football. 

Of course the university swells will justify the expenditure saying that the lion’s share of the money will come from non-university non-tuition sources, the expenditure will ensure the continued success that will keep Clemson front and center in the public’s mind and producing many times the cost of the contract in “free” or in kind advertising and recruiting benefits for the university.

Well if outside sources are providing the funds, who the hell is the coach responsible to and if you’re shelling out 93 mill is the advertising really “free”?

So now the race is on.  Every college coach in the top-tier will have Sweeny’s contract to point to in future negotiations.  That kind of money is also going to put pressure on the elite programs to "just win baby."  If a national championship or two gets you 93 mill, what are you going to be willing to do to make a run at that payday?    


Today’s JG rant the joy of teaching
Playing the victim card is never a good look for highly motivated successful people.  That card of desperation is usually reserved for underachieving, woe-is-me, Eeyore, sad sack types trying to explain away failures.  I don’t think highly motivated and successful teachers who love their job walk around complaining about being “targeted” (by whom?), feeling “depleted” and “insulted.”  I would worry if my child was expected to spend the day being taught by such a person.    

Teaching is a calling.  I know.  I tried it for a time.  I could not do it.  I saw teachers of all types.  I saw teachers show up early with an arm load of props for the day’s classes.  I watched others enter the classroom at the last possible minute and look forward to nothing other than their free period, lunch and the end of the day.  What I cannot say is how successful either of these two models were at imparting the knowledge they were expected to relay to their classes. 

While my temperament was not well-suited for the classroom, I never once had to fake my enthusiasm for being there.  I never once made a half-hearted effort.  I never once blamed my circumstance, which I entered into voluntarily, on anyone but myself.  I chose to leave the profession before I ever did. 

I love good teachers and even average teachers who are like happy warriors.   They look forward to every day as a day to make a positive difference.  They assess their own performance and make changes where needed.  They learn from others.  They adapt and overcome for the good of their classroom.

As far as compensation goes consider the following.  The average pay for a teacher in Indian in 2017 was $50,714 a year.  For that the taxpayer gets a college educated teacher expected to be in the classroom for 9 months of the year (which includes a pretty generous holiday package) for on average 8 hours 5 days a week teaching a class of between 17 – 30 students. 

By comparison, the basic pay for a lieutenant in the U.S. Marine Corps is $38,369 a year.  For that the taxpayer gets a college educated death defyier on duty 24-7-365 ready and willing to leave everything he loves for worldwide deployment including combat zones to lead his platoon of about 40 Marines.

Who’s getting screwed?

Public's help is vital in ending teachers' plight
In 1996, I became a part of a profession that I felt was admirable and respected, but lately, that feeling has rapidly deteriorated. I am a teacher.
I love what I do. I have had kids leave my class and become upstanding community members. I have taught children who are in every profession out there. I am a teacher and, lately, I am depleted.
Indiana legislators are working hard to dismantle public education. We have had evaluations thrust upon us that judge standardized test results. Our contract negotiations are so strict that our rights are virtually gone. We have seen a 16% decrease in salary due to inflation increase, making Indiana last in salary to inflation increase in the nation. Many teachers are working two jobs to make ends meet.
Most legislators in my area have voted against public education by restricting our funding, limiting our ability to protect classroom conditions and funding private schools through vouchers. They aren't listening to teachers, administrators and superintendents anymore.
We need you to help support teachers. If you believe we are doing what we need to do to get your child ready for life after graduation, help us.
Vote for legislators who defend public education. Contact your legislators and ask them to support public education. Wear red on Wednesdays and announce on social media why. Encourage people to get involved. That is all we ask for.
Like many of my friends, I am a teacher. I love my job. I am good at it. I am tired of being targeted. I am tired of being depleted and insulted because I am a public education teacher. Something needs done to make a change. Please, help us.
Jennifer Wells
Kendallville

No comments: