Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Yes, I believe in God

With a Tsunami killing 150,000 people and mudslides threatening life in California, the godless are asking how a good and merciful God could allow such things to happen. I guess these people forgot about all that smiting and smoteing that went on in the Old Testament - floods, plagues, cities destroyed, deaths of the first born, armies destroyed, and people wandering the desert for 40 years and to prove God had a sense of humor there was the Tower of Babylon. (No, had is the right word. I don't believe that God is dead. I just don't know if He has a sense of humor anymore.)

I believe in God. Not because I’ve studied the question. Though I own a copy of “Jamieson, Fausset & Brown’s Commentary on the Whole Bible”, I’ve never opened it. I believe because nothing else makes sense to me.

People of faith are trying to get God back into school by using euphemisms such as, Intelligent Design and Creationism. That strikes me funny. Schools in the US, when they actually taught and students learned, were created to teach the Bible. So now God has been booted out and is trying to get back in under an assumed name. To me this is sort of like Walter Camp being kicked out of the Football Hall Fame. Then a group or football purists try to re-introduce him to the hall of fame committee as Wally the rules dude. It also reminds me of the book “A Separate Peace” (Thank you Mrs. Donovan.) when Phineas tells Gene, “Always say a prayer just in case there is a God.” Well hey guess what, if there is a God and you try to BS Him, He’ll know. And that is what the terms Intelligent Design and Creationism are all about, trying to BS God, the city council and the school board. The first knows, for the other two, your cross, generosity and the polite way you speak give you away.

Yes, I believe in God, not because I’m a pious, self-righteous, religious right-wing nut but - because not to believe in God requires that you believe in an 800 page, single spaced, 3 point type (get your glasses and try it), list of coincidences and some unexplainable thing (to me anyway) called “evolution”. I hope to get my ideas on these coincidences and evolution down to something readable in the near future.

No comments: