Tuesday, October 14, 2014

We'd do the work if we had to

I was cutting the cattails out of the pond, or as I like to call it - the back up water supply, yesterday when it struck me, if I were an American this is a job I wouldn’t do.  No.  Wait.  I am an American.  Yet there I was engaged in as nasty and backbreaking a task as there is to be found here on the compound.  That is now that the 28 -- 38” deep postholes for the northern fence have been hand dug dug.  That was the previous nasty backbreaker. 

The big difference is that I won’t have to dig the postholes again next year.  The cattails on the other hand will grow back.  That is unless I apply chemical to them in the spring.  That’s when the yearly battle begins.  Mrs. Lex likes the cattails, because they’re “pretty.”  And so they are until it’s time to remove them, and then they become the most azz ugly, stubborn plant of no use or value what-so-ever. 

After squaring off with the miserable wretch of a plant, I always tell Mrs. Lex, “Next year, no cattails.”  “Aww, I like them.  I think they’re pretty.”  So guess who wins that battle?  My plan is to kill them off a few unnoticeable feet at a time until Mrs. Lex looks out the window in a few years and says, “Haaaay, what happened to the cattails?”  I’ve practiced my introspective and detailed response, “I dunno.”   

The whole cattail thing got me to thinking that Americans - of certain age anyway – are pretty much willing to do whatever it is that needs to done.  And in the case of the postholes even things that don’t need to be done.

That entire effort was a 100% capitulation to the Mrs.  I didn’t want anything to do with the unnecessary and somewhat expensive project.  So in effort to protest the project and elicit sympathy, I insisted that I’d dig the postholes by hand.  No.  I would not rent a power auger.  No.  I would not accept my neighbor’s offer to use his auger that attached to the PTO of our tractor.  Every one of those nasty holes would be dug by hand.  Period.  That’ll show her who is boss.

That was weird and stupid thinking – or lack of thinking.  She didn’t give a crap how the fence went up as long as it went up.  Sympathy?  No.  There was none.  When I complained about how much effort was required, all I got was, “Go rent a posthole digger or ask Troy for help.”  That really peed me off.  Well I’ll show her.  But again no matter how dirty and sweaty I got the only thing that interested her was how much progress I was making – to a point.  When I finished, I asked her, “Did you see the fence is done?”  Her response wasn’t “What fence?”  But it was the next worst thing, “No.  I’ll have to go out and have a look.”  Her only reaction to the completion of the project was one, “Very nice.”  Well, I guess I showed her who's boss.

Now what was the point of all of this?  Oh yeah, work Americans won’t do.  We’ll do the work.  The problem is that we’ve devolved into two groups, 1) people with enough disposable income and too little time to do the work, and 2) people who would do the work for the busy high achievers but are being paid by the government to not participate in the economy.

Take Ferguson, MO.  How can people afford to be out everyday protesting?  Not to paint with too broad a brush, but if they worked, they couldn’t.  At some point they’d have to risk being shot by a murderous police officer when they put their hands down to pick up the posthole digger to get back to work.

So if the government is paying a large percentage of uneducated low-skilled workers to drop out of the work force, what can you do?  You are forced to rely on illegal immigrants to fill the void.  It is The Empty Suit’s policy to pay enough Americans to drop out of the work force as to make amnesty the only option to get enough people in the work force to make the economy work.  The side benefit – maybe the primary benefit – is the illegals – being criminals – will be a natural fit for the DemoDope Party.

Then Ebola and the enterovirus D68 started to show up.  Uh oh.  Cheap labor be damned, people are starting think that sealing the border may not be such a bad idea.  That is why TES will not stop Ebola plagued West Africans from entering the country.  If he does that, he’ll be forced to deal with a porous southern border.  That’s the last thing he wants to do.  So he’ll risk contaminating all of us to gain the upper hand in the next couple of elections.

You think that sounds crazy.  Sadly, I do not.

No comments: