Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Mike’s biennial disease

Michael Fox has taken to the airwaves in support of, surprise, surprise, Democrats. How odd that another Hollywood know nothing would line up to shill for Democrats. But Mike is a one issue shill. Shaking like one of the chicks on a pole at the Boom Boom room, Mike shows up and shows off the ravages of Parkinson’s. Mike has stated publicly that he goes off his meds when testifying before congress and elsewhere to better demonstrate the effects of his disease.

OK fair enough. If I had a debilitating disease, I’d probably take every advantage to call attention to it as well. But I doubt that I’d place so high a value on my own comfort or life that I’d call for the wholesale destruction of others so that I might have their cells – stem or otherwise. And even if I did support the destruction of others for my personal benefit, I cannot imagine that I’d advocate that position as policy for the Federal government. I think I’d kind of want to hide that side of my personality. But then I think I’d kind of want to hide my infirmities as well rather than foregoing my meds to accentuate them.

But Mike, never one to learn from the past, has taken a page from the 2004 presidential race where faith-healer and snake oil salesman John Edwards claimed Christopher Reeves would walk again if only we’d elect John Kerry president. Fox shills for Democrats only, even one who once who voted against the very legislation he proposes. He says stem cell research is being thwarted by Republicans even though many Republicans like Orin Hatch support governemt sponsored stem cell research, and stem cell research is legal in the very states in which he is now campaigning - MO and MD.

We’ve been down this road before. Stem cell research is not illegal. Mike can give as many of his considerable millions as wants to that research. President Bush is the FIRST president to allocate government resources to that research. Stem cell research is NOT the most promising research being conducted today with regard to paralyses and disease.

The stem cell question when raised in this fashion becomes more political than medical which is the whole point of Mike's coming out every two years to stump for only Democrats - even ones who vote against his stem cell proposals.

No comments: