Monday, May 19, 2008

Fake war hero trashes a real one

The Des Monies Register printed this little nugget that – SURPRISE – hasn’t received much play in the MSM:

Republican presidential candidate John McCain's family background as the son and grandson of admirals has given him a worldview shaped by the military, "and he has a hard time thinking beyond that," Sen. Tom Harkin, D-Ia., said Friday.

"I think he's trapped in that," Harkin said in a conference call with Iowa reporters. "Everything is looked at from his life experiences, from always having been in the military, and I think that can be pretty dangerous."

Harkin said that "it's one thing to have been drafted and served, but another thing when you come from generations of military people and that's just how you're steeped, how you've learned, how you've grown up."

What makes this even worse is that Harkin, a military veteran himself, thought military service was important and honorable enough during his 1992 senate re-election campaign to embellish (i.e lie about) his own service record. So, for Tom Harkin – a pretend hero – it’s better to fake like you’re war hero than to actually be one.

Also, in Harkin’s bizzaro world, it’s better to be plucked off the street involuntarily than to stand in line and volunteer to defend your country. A willing warrior, according to Harkin, is less desirable than the unwilling one. No doubt Harkin will be introducing legislation to restore the draft this week.

McCain’s response? Can’t find one. If one does crop up, it’ll no doubt be of the “we’re going to run a respectable campaign” variety. I’d love to hear McCain lose his temper on this one.

AP Story from aboard The Straight Talk Express

“He said WHAT? Ya gotta be kidding me. Tell that little chicken sh*& he can kiss my war scarred a$$. Never mind. I’ll tell him myself while I’m choking the sh&^ out of the little pr&%# the next time I see him.” That was Senator John McCain’s response to news that fellow Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA) questioned McCain’s fitness to be president based on the McCain family’s military history.

Then McCain’s wife Cindy got into the fray, “Well if all of this ‘respectable campaign’ bullsh*& is out the window, I guess it’d be OK if I bit&% slapped Harkin’s old lady around while we’re at it.”

And that’s why Lex is not the communications director for anyone’s campaign.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Then according to Harkin you should morph to fit what the polls think you should be. How about McCain saying here I am. Vote for me or don't vote for me. Although he is not in my starting line up for Pres I will vote for him UNLESS he gets too cute and and tries to be an everything to everybody candidate. Then I will vote for Ron Paul or cast a write in ballot for Lex. Harkin's comments can then be taken back to all the other Pres selections that served in the military which is probably most presidents. I wonder how many served? Lex would know.

Anonymous said...

32 of 43 presidents served in the military.