Thursday, October 04, 2018

No. You don’t have to believe the girl.


When someone has made an allegation against Lex in the past most have been true, but not all.  Once way back in elementary school, a girl raised her hand in the middle of a spelling test and told the teacher I was copying off of her.  The teacher came over and asked – no - told me I copied that word and that word from the girl’s paper.  They were marked wrong on the spot, before I could even protest my innocence. 

The funny thing about this is, given my spelling accuracy before Bill Gates started correcting it, there was probably less than a 50-50 chance the words were spelled correctly anyway. If I was cheating during a spelling test, I must have been copying from a bigger dumbazz than myself.

Wow!  How can you remember all that?  Well I remember it mostly because in addition to grading my paper on the spot with a red marker in front of the class, she snatched some hair on my head between her forefinger and thumb and punctuated every word with a sharp tug.

This never bothered me much because I was never a particularly bright student and it just didn’t make any difference.  It was never going to be the deciding factor on my application to Yale and it didn’t affect my steady C average. 

In retrospect I think my poor academic record should have been exculpatory to any charge of cheating.  Who the hell was I cheating off of to get such crappy grades? 

This whole thing never crossed my mind much.  I recalled it yesterday during a walk when I remembered a charge against Lex jr. in high school.  Lex jr. and several buds were “credibly” charged by a female student with drunk driving and general drunkenness during his senior year of high school.

School administrators contacted us about the charges.  Our response was simple. We don’t know.  We have not seen any evidence of it. We’ve not heard one word about it.  We don’t condone or encourage it. Please let us know what you find out. 

Unlike his old man, Lex jr. had a lot on the line.  He was a great student.  He was captain of the speech and debate team and was looking forward to his senior year of competition.  That would all go bye-bye if the allegations could be proven.

Well after sometime - which seemed like weeks - the student sort of recanted.  Instead of issuing an apology to the wrongly accused students, the administration told them that they would be under close scrutiny for the remainder of the school year and any violation of school rules would result in suspension blah, blah, blah.

Fast forward to last Christmas.  Lex jr, had just celebrated his 21st birthday and was having a drink with the men in the garage.  I asked him point blank in front of everyone – “Okay, statute of limitations has expired.  What really happened with all that stuff about drinking from high school?”  His answer was just as point blank, “It was total BS.  I never drank in high school.  I wasn’t even at one of the parties where it supposedly occurred and had time cards from work to prove it, but they still wanted to talk to my supervisor.  Total complete BS.”

Well Lex jr. went on to become the Indiana State Debate Champion that year, was selected for the National Honor Society and graduated with honors.  All of it could have been torpedoed by one false allegation.

Today’s reading assignment
Victor Davis Hanson has been on fire – well not on fire.  That’s one thing that makes reading VDH so beneficial; his rather dispassionate understated and methodical way of laying out facts to support a conclusion.  VDH is not a bomb thrower.  He’s a thoughtful scholar who allows logic to lead the reader to the correct conclusion.  He is spot on with his assessment of the dangers of allowing Demo-Dopes to shift common law standards to correct for past discriminations.

What’s scary about all this is the Dope reaction when Kavanaugh gets confirmed.  They are so unhinged right now, how do they ramp it up after a stinging political defeat without resorting to wide scale violence?  They don’t.

Prediction:  The circus becomes a riot Saturday night.  Thanks Dopes.  You’re doing a heck of a job.

Where will they go if Justice Ginsberg - age 85 – or Justice Breyer – age 80 – leave the court?


No comments: