Thursday, October 18, 2018

War! Huh! What is it good for? Explain the desired end state and method for achieving it.


While the economy is bubbling along at a hectic pace, the market booming, wages are up, welfare rolls are down, American energy resources being tapped at unprecedented rates, peace beginning to flower on the Korean Peninsula, NATO beginning to pay up, ISIS run to ground – while all of that is happening – the smoldering tire fires that are the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan continue to belch smoke and foul odors.

These wars have become an unseen sore to most Americans.  The sore only comes to mind when it is bumped or unexpectedly poked.  “Boy the economy is booming, look at my 401K!”  News flash:  PFC Jones was killed by an IED in Iraq today.  “Oh yeah that.  Look, the markets have rebounded another 20 points!”

I’m not even going to pretend to understand how all of the Geo-Strategic gears in these sh*hole places mesh.  I do understand that a nation cannot be engaged in interminable wars in which there is no clearly stated achievable end state, but that seems to be where we are with these conflicts. 

If I were PDJT, I’d quit, go play golf and enjoy my billions.  Who needs the BS?  Other than that, if I were PDJT, I’d task DoD to clearly state what victory looks like in Iraq and Afghanistan and how and when we achieve it.  If I were PDJT I’d demand from DoD a clear statement from them that I could read to any soldier, sailor, airman or Marine that I was deploying to those sh*tholes that clearly stated the mission and desired end state.

The statement would lay out in clear terms why it was necessary for them to leave their families and risk their lives.  If there was no short term success strategy, I’d privatize these wars.  Get our troops and heavy equipment out to be replaced with Blackwater Type former special operations forces covered with US air power.  

I’d put a Marine Expeditionary Unit or even Brigade off shore with a carrier to exploit successes ashore and destroy any major enemy offensives.  While the Blackwater forces might constrained by local sensibilities, the US military would be constrained only by employing tactics and strategy designed to defeat the enemy – period

Alas, like “ten years in prison” is easier said than done, armchair diplomacy and generalship from the comfort of the kitchen with a cup of coffee and a plate of doughnuts appears so clear and easily accomplished.  My guess is that if it were easy, it would have been done by now.  But what the hell?  How long are we going to go down the current road?    

It’s like trying to run the football up the middle 100 times in a row and netting 50 yards.  Maybe fake it to the fullback up the middle and then pitch the ball to the halfback for a sweep around the end.  Idunno something. 

At an absolute minimum, we should know what the hell we’re fighting for and how we expect win.  No winning exit strategy – no war. 

No comments: