Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Dems dump JFK's "ask not" for just ask

I have spent the evenings for about the last week helping young Lex research and compare college costs as part of his “Math Showcase” project. As a result, I’m announcing my support for brave courageous tough guy John Edwards. Who cares that if you put him in a wig and heels he’d also be the best looking girl in the race - including all of the other candidates’ wives.

It’s easy. Go here and check out the average cost of a college education in your state. Then do as young Lex did, add $1,300 a year for books and $2,000 a year in miscellaneous expenses, figure 4% inflation and multiply that total times 4 (or if you’re kids are like Lex, 5 years). So I’m thinking why should I pay that if John is willing to rob my family, friends, neighbors and every else to pay for it?

And no, I don’t think it matters one hoot to John if young Lex turns out, as my Aunt Anna used to gently put it, not to be college material. I’m sending him anyway. Why wouldn’t I? Hell I’m not paying for it. It’ll be good opportunity for young Lex to sow his wild oats on campus, demonstrating, drinking, disrupting classes before getting booted out to learn a trade. Or heck, with those credentials, he may actually end up running the place.

Hmm, which reminds me, if John is willing to steal from everyone to pay for college, does anyone seriously believe that he won’t steal from everyone to pay for trade school? This is a win win for us. Lex jr can go college for a few years then go to trade school for a few years, then go to some government extended education program, then take early retirement and may never have to actually get a job. Sweet.

Every Dem candidate is turning Dem icon JFK’s words on their head. Instead of, “Ask not what your country can do for you…” Dems are engaged in a battle one-ups-man-ship of “Just ask and I’ll tax America to the poor house to pay for it.”

No comments: